ToolFreak’s Top Tips for preventing eye injuries in the workplace!
Statistics suggest that each day approximately 2,000 workers in the USA sustain a work-related eye injury, that requires medical treatment! Figures also reflect that 100 of those inflicted then have to take time off work.
These shocking statistics place great emphasis on the importance of keeping your eyes safe; as the damage can be daunting to both your eyesight and your livelihood. In this article we discuss ways in which you can keep your eyes safe in the workplace, with the spotlight placed on one very obvious prevention technique: The use of high quality Safety Eyewear!
How do people sustain eye injuries in the workplace?
In a nutshell, accidents do happen… However these unpredictable moments can be prevented or at least minimised with preparation and safe practice!
In most cases, eye injuries occur as a result of small particles such as debris striking or scraping the eye. Popular injury inflicting objects include: wood chips and metal debris which can cause great harm to the eyesight.
Alongside these causes, penetration of objects such as nails, or other pieces of metal can also be a culprit of inflicting pain and irreversible damage to the eyesight; and the same detrimental damage can also arise as a result of chemical burns!
How can you prevent eye injuries in the workplace?
As mentioned above, preparation and safe practice is key to preventing unwanted and painful eye injuries arising in the workplace, but what do we mean by this?
- Wearing Safety Glasses is essential! Protective eyewear is an inexpensive method which should be utilised by all workers in numerous environments where hazardous materials could be present! Whether you’re a welder, a fabricator, a woodworker, or a medical professional, we would highly recommend investing in a pair of high quality Safety Glasses! Safety Eyewear should be impact and UV rated to ANSI Z87+ standards, they should also be snug-fitting to your face with wraparound features, meaning your eyes are protected at all angles at all times. We would highly suggest wearing your Safety Eyewear for long periods of time, even if you do not see yourself at risk, you never know what someone else's actions may be; and therefore you could be at risk of flying debris entering your field of vision. Be prepared and wear Safety Glasses!
- Look after your Safety Eyewear and ensure that you always have clear and crisp vision! Brush the debris off your safety glasses after using them and always store them in a safe place so that they do not get damaged. It is important to inspect and dispose of any inefficient safety gear. An example of which would be, if your work/organization giving you a pair of basic Safety Glasses a long time ago; and over the years they have gained a number of scratches, they are probably doing more harm than good. So we would recommend disposing of them and investing in a high quality pair of Safety Glasses! (Check out our ToolFreak range today).
- Be alert! Your focus and awareness is paramount to protecting your eyesight. If you become distracted or disorientated by your surroundings, you really are letting your guard down and allowing for mistakes and accidents to arise. We would highly suggest assessing the environment you're in, ensuring that you know how to correctly use the machinery and objects around you, aware of the people around you and the activities they are completing and the risks associated. As obvious as this may sound, please take note and take a step back if you are ever feeling tired on the job, if you’re tired, you lack focus and concentration; which is a huge cause for concern in relation to incidents occurring. So please, stay alert and stay aware!
- Following on from the above point, it is worthwhile to identify any hazards in the specific work place prior to entering, for example will there be heavy machinery or chemical exposure, or flying particles? It is vital that you ask and answer these questions beforehand to save unwanted eye injuries.
- Ensure that you have completed all of the relevant training in your workplace so you can be confident in knowing that you have a good understanding of the machines, objects and atmosphere around you.
- Look out for clear signage in the workplace. Display signs should be visible in your work space so you can understand what potential hazards are nearby.
- Annually attend eye examinations! Taking the time out to check up on your eyesight is really important, these appointments can detect any issues or illnesses early on which can protect your future vision! Although it may seem like a mundane task, we would highly suggest taking this seriously and scheduling an appointment in advance.
If you would like to take the first step in the right direction of taking great care of your eyesight, why not invest in a pair of ToolFreak Safety Glasses today! Our Safety Eyewear is fashionable AND durable and we take great pride in offering protective eyewear that is UV and Impact rated to ANSI Z87+ standards!
We offer a range of Safety Glasses, so there really is something for everyone. If you are looking for a snug-fitting and stylish pair then why not opt for our ToolFreak Spoggles. Not only do these wrap comfortably around your face but they also offer insane comfort as they come with inner foam padding that allows for both comfort and ventilation. Now, this is just one pair from our awesome range of safety eyewear. Please check out our range online today!
Below we have inserted a few different photos showcasing a selection of our range of Safety Eyewear!
We hope that you have enjoyed reading this post and have greater insight into how you can take better care of your eyes in the workplace! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to leave a comment below, we will be more than happy to help you!
We regularly update this blog post, so please keep your eyes peeled for more blog posts coming very soon!
Trust the experts!
The ToolFreak Team!