Welding Glasses - ToolFreak talk all about the importance of Protective Eyewear within the Welding Industry!
Welders face a range of dangerous hazards on a daily basis and so the need for Protective Eyewear is paramount. Welders work with heavy machinery, high temperatures and scraps of sharp metal flying at great speed, needless to say, safety equipment is vital within this industry.
In today’s post, we discuss the importance of Safety Glasses and highlight their many uses and benefits. We will also place the spotlight on other important pieces of Safety Equipment; in hope that we can provide great help and insight to those working within this highly skilled trade.
So, what hazards are present within the world of Welding?
Below, we have outlined a number of hazards present within the Welding Industry, this is not comprehensive of all the potential problematic hazards, so please be sure to speak with your management/ regulator and take part in any training available, in order to be safe on the job. We do however hope that this shines a light on a selection of hazards to look out for within this specific industry! So, please do take note as this information could be of great benefit to you and your safety in the workplace.
- Eye injuries! Your eyes could be vulnerable to sharp pieces of metal and other pieces of debris while welding. These small particles can have a colossal impact on your eyesight, if they were to enter or scrape your eyes. Your eyesight is extremely precious, so please, we urge you to treasure it and ensure that you wear high-quality safety eyewear as well as a strong and sturdy helmet while working.
- UV Rays! Your eyes could also be at risk of being exposed to harmful UV rays throughout the welding process. In the long term, these rays can have a detrimental impact on the wellbeing of your eyes and too much exposure has been known to lead to cataracts. So again, we urge you, invest in Safety Glasses today and prevent these unwanted injuries, your future self will thank you!
- Severe burns! While welding, you are susceptible to severe burns due to the extremely high temperatures and molten metal! Burns are serious and can have irreversible consequences and effects.
- Electric shocks! Live wires are used in the process of creating molten metal so welders are at risk of receiving electric shocks. These shocks can be extremely painful and in some cases, fatal! Please ensure that you are not working within a damp environment, or wearing damp clothing while welding, also be sure to look out for any metal surfaces or objects within your working environment.
- Loud noises! Welders can be exposed to extremely loud noises whilst working, this can arise while flame cutting and air arc gouging, as noises can exceed 100 dB (A). Loud noises can impact your hearing ability and lead to hearing issues in the future.
Ok, how can you combat the hazards mentioned above? What equipment and workwear is available to welders, in order to stay safe on the job?
Through research, we have come to the understanding that the list below highlights important pieces of Safety equipment, that when utilised properly can be extremely helpful to welders worldwide. As mentioned above, this list is not fully comprehensive; and we would highly recommend speaking to your safety officer, manager and regulator prior to purchasing safety equipment. We do however hope that this information can provide useful information and steer welders in the right direction in buying safety equipment.
- Industry rated Hand shield
- Thick gloves made out of strong materials
- Fire & flame resistant clothing
- Over the ear, ear muffs
- Safety Glasses
- Safety Goggles
- High-quality welding helmet
- Ear plugs
- Strong and sturdy, non-slip boots
In more detail, how can Safety Glasses specifically benefit Welding professionals?
We would highly recommend that Welders wear Clear Lens Wraparound Safety Glasses, as these can be worn comfortably underneath welding helmets! Welders are advised to wear Safety Glasses as they can protect your eyes against sparks, debris and other hazardous particles that have the power to cause great harm.
We would highly recommend scouting a pair of Safety Glasses that are rated to ANSI Z87+ standards, this is so you can enjoy the insane protection offered against multiple hazards, such as debris, as well as high-velocity impact.
If you would like to purchase a pair today, be sure to check out our Clear Lens Rip Out Safety Glasses range, as they tick all the boxes above; due to ensuring paramount protection and comfort. If you would like to shop this range, please click here!
Below, we have inserted a photo of our Rip Out Safety Glasses, so you can get a better idea of what they look like!
We recently spoke to Rachel Bohnet, who is an extremely talented welding wonder, we discussed a variety of topics, including safety in the workplace; and this is what she had to say on the matter: ““I always ensure that I have proper eye, hearing and foot protection; and I am always aware of the surroundings to ensure all the proper PPE is used”.
We hope you can follow the same safe steps as Rachel and take your safety in the workplace seriously!
Thank you for reading, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch with the ToolFreak Team today!
Have a great day!
The ToolFreak Team!